Friday, April 4, 2008

Homemade Yogurt

I recently started to make my own homemade yogurt after purchasing a Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker like over a year ago along. Reason was it was getting pretty ridiculous expensive in the city. Three days ago I made a quart from a 6 oz vanilla "La Yogurt" lowfat yogurt that was 79 cents. They didn't have plain even though the instructions called for plain. I also bought non fat dry milk from pathmart which I also did not use. 6 hours in the yogurt maker and refrigerated overnight turned out an ok yogurt that was just a bit too tart but edible. The homemade yogurt was also a little runny after a short while but when scooping it seemed pretty firm.

Interesting things are that in my next batch, I will probably not scorch the milki. Seems in the USA all? milk is pasteurized which means the same thing. I measured the temperature in the salton after the finished yogurt maker and both the manual and digital thermometer showed 100 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment