Tuesday, May 12, 2009

New York City has Soft Water

Dunno if I ever found the answer but forgot but I just saw a commercial about a hard water cleaner so I did an internet search. Hopefully the answer hasn't changed since 2003 but this pdf at http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/wsstat03.pdf answers the question quite well.

Here's some quotes in case you do not have a pdf reader:

Q: Is New York City's water "hard"?
A: Hardness is a measure of dissolved calcium and magnesium in the water. The calcium and magnesium in the water ("soft" water), the easier it is to create lather and suds. Depending upon location, the hardness can be 1.0 grain/gallon (CaCO3) for the catskill/Delaware System, and 5 grains/gallon for the Croton System. New York City's water is predominantly "soft."


I suppose from this explanation nullifies an answer online that suggests pipes will change the hardness of the water. This should apply to Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island but the term "predominantly" used is confusing.

I like this test at http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/testhardwater_2.htm. I definately have soft water.

No comments:

Post a Comment